Magic Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream
Why this recipe works:
We’ve taken our recipe for Magic Vanilla Ice Cream and introduced a fudgy swirl. Using a modified chocolate ganache made with bittersweet chocolate, we achieved the right balance of rich chocolate and creamy vanilla, where the dark chocolate balances the sweetness of the ice cream. Be sure to… read more
We’ve taken our recipe for Magic Vanilla Ice Cream and introduced a fudgy swirl. Using a modified chocolate ganache made with bittersweet chocolate, we achieved the right balance of rich chocolate and creamy vanilla, where the dark chocolate balances the sweetness of the ice cream. Be sure to fold the remaining two thirds of the whipped cream into the ice cream base carefully to keep the final product light and creamy. When incorporating the chocolate, take care to swirl it just enough to disperse it without mixing it into the ice cream.less
Makes 1 quart
Mix the chocolate only enough to swirl it; don't mix it in completely.
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. FOR THE ICE CREAM: Microwave condensed milk and white chocolate chips in large bowl until chips soften, 60 to 75 seconds, stirring halfway through. Remove from microwave and stir mixture thoroughly, until white chocolate chips are melted and fully incorporated, about 2 minutes, pressing chips against side of bowl as necessary to melt fully. Stir in sour cream, vanilla, and salt.
2. Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip cream on medium-low until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir one-third of whipped cream into white chocolate mixture until combined. Fold remaining whipped cream into white chocolate mixture until just incorporated. Pour ice cream base into freezable container.
3. FOR THE CHOCOLATE SWIRL: Lace chocolate in 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Heat cream, corn syrup, oil, and salt in small saucepan over medium heat until mixture is steaming, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Remove from heat and immediately pour over chocolate. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes, then stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
4. Slowly pour chocolate mixture into center of ice cream base. Dip butter knife through chocolate to bottom of container and lift up, swirling as you lift. Repeat about 10 times, until chocolate is evenly swirled through ice cream base, being careful not to overmix. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 2 weeks. Serve.