From Cook's Country
We use a quality blue cheese—English Stilton—to make the rich dressing the star of this salad. Mayo and sour cream add tang and creaminess, red wine vinegar brightens it up, and a splash of milk smoothes it out to the perfect consistency—all the better to coat a crunchy wedge of iceberg. Tests proved that raw onion overpowered even our robust dressing, but shallots soaked in vinegar (which we then used in the dressing) provided a mellower onion flavor.
The dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week. This salad is best when the iceberg wedges are cold.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large shallot, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rings
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces Stilton blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (9 ounces), cored and cut into 6 wedges
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1. Cook bacon in 10-inch skillet until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Combine shallot and vinegar in bowl and let sit for 20 minutes.
- 2. Using fork, remove shallot from vinegar; reserve shallot and 2 tablespoons vinegar. Whisk 3 ounces blue cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, reserved vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper together in bowl until combined.
- 3. Arrange lettuce wedges on platter and top with dressing, reserved shallot, and tomatoes. Crumble bacon over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 ounce blue cheese. Serve.