From Cook's Country
To replicate the long-simmered flavor of traditional tomato sauce in our quick-cooking version, we start by caramelizing onions—finely diced for more surface area—in butter. Dried herbs and garlic complete the base flavors. Canned crushed tomatoes, which require no chopping or pureeing, are the bulk of our sauce, and a pinch of sugar rounds out their tang. Stir in a few final ingredients at the end, and guests will think this 20-minute concoction has been simmering on the stove all day.
Makes about 3 cups; enough for 1 pound pasta
The test kitchen’s preferred brands of crushed tomatoes are Muir Glen Organic Crushed Tomatoes with Basil and Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes in Thick Puree with Basil.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists