From Cook's Country
Shrimp Cocktail is a classic at parties, but it rarely does justice to the festive occasion: The shrimp are overcooked, rubbery, and flavorless, and they’re served with a sugary-sweet cocktail sauce. To ensure perfectly cooked shrimp, we start them in cool water, bring it up to a simmer, and then immediately kill the heat and cover the pot. When the shrimp are pink and tender, we add ice to stop the cooking process. Finally, we developed a traditional cocktail sauce—ketchup and horseradish based—that’s balanced enough to complement the sweet shrimp instead of hiding their flavor.
Serves 6 to 8
The shrimp and sauce may be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists