From Cook's Country
What’s the secret behind a shatteringly crisp shoestring onion ring? Apple. That’s right, we found that acidic apple cider vinegar (with apple juice to balance the flavor) drew out the onion’s starch granules, leaving us with an ultra-crisp coating. Following the same theme, an initial coating of acidic cream of tartar added even more crunch.
You will need a Dutch oven with a capacity of at least 6 quarts for this recipe. We prefer yellow onions here, but white onions will also work. Do not use red or sweet onions.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists