Reduced-Fat King Ranch Casserole
From Cook's Country
This comforting Texas casserole is loaded with condensed soup and cheese sauce, not to mention a Frito topping. After nixing the canned soup, we cut fat and calories by replacing the heavy cream and most of the cheese with a combination of low-fat cream cheese and a flour-thickened broth. Our own seasoned corn tortillas make for a crunchy, flavorful topping without turning to a bag of corn chips. Tomatoes, chiles, onions, and fresh cilantro round out this lighter but just as comforting take on the classic.
If you can’t find Ro-tel tomatoes in your supermarket, substitute one 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes and one 4-ounce can of chopped green chiles.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists