Reduced-Fat Apple Crisp
From Cook's Country
We mimicked the thick, sweet, sugary filling by treating the apples in two ways: We mashed some apples to thicken the sauce and sliced others for added texture. To cut down on calories, we traded the nuts for Grape-Nuts cereal.
Traditional recipes have 540 calories, 23 grams of fat, and 11 grams of saturated fat per 1-cup serving. Our changes brought the numbers down to 300 calories, 6 grams of fat, and 4 gram of saturated fat.
Instant or quick oats turn the topping sandy; use old-fashioned oats. Note that the apple pieces and apple wedges are cooked differently.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists