Quicker Boston Baked Beans
From Cook's Country
We love authentic Boston baked beans but don’t always have the five to six extra hours they require. To get the same creamy texture fast, we first simmer dried beans with a little baking soda. The soda jump starts their softening, allowing us to shave the baking time down to two hours. We boost the flavor with well-browned salt pork, rich dark brown sugar, and beefy Worcestershire; a little Dijon mustard and cider vinegar add the requisite tang.
Serves 4 to 6
Liquids evaporate faster in the oven in heavy cast-iron Dutch ovens than in lighter pots. If you're using a heavy pot, increase the water in step 2 to 4 1/2 cups.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists