Pennies from Heaven
From Cook's Country
Pennies from Heaven is a Depression era dish of orange-flavored, glazed carrots with apricots and cinnamon designed to look like newly minted pennies. It sounds promising but most recipes gave us washed out flavors, chewy bits of apricots, and sticky-sweet glazes. We found that simmering the carrots in orange juice infused them with orange flavor throughout. We then added the apricots to the simmering liquid for two reasons: They plumped in the orange juice as the carrots cooked, and they lent the final glaze a pleasant apricot flavor. Finally, we added just enough sugar to glaze the carrots but not enough to make them overly sweet.
We like to use a rasp-style grater to zest citrus fruits.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists