Pan-Fried Sole with Lemony Herb Butter
From Cook's Country
A quick compound butter of chives and lemon zest added tons of flavor to our Pan-Fried Sole but required very little extra time to put together. Although tasters preferred sole in this recipe, we found that flounder worked just as well.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless sole fillets
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. Combine butter, chives, lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in bowl; set aside. Place flour in shallow dish. Pat fish dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Dredge fish lightly on both sides in flour, shaking off excess.
- 2. Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook 2 fillets until golden, about 2½ minutes per side. Transfer to plate and tent loosely with foil. Wipe out skillet with paper towels and repeat with remaining 1½ tablespoons oil and fish. Top each fillet with 1 tablespoon of herb butter. Serve.