Orange Drop Doughnuts
From Cook's Country
Orange Drop Doughnuts are orange-flavored round doughnuts leavened with baking powder. To make them, we first worked out the perfect ratio of baking powder to flour. The resulting batter was light, but not the least bit bitter—a problem with many chemically leavened baked goods. We used orange juice as the liquid component. Most traditional recipes also called for milk, but this simply diluted the orange flavor. Orange zest added a secondary burst of bright flavor. We coated the fried doughnuts in sugar ground with orange zest. The zest virtually dissolved into the sugar and lent it a good deal of flavor.
Makes 24 to 30
You'll need 3 oranges for the zest and juice.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists