Make-Ahead Shepherd's Pie
From Cook's Country
The freezer dehydrates food, so we added extra chicken broth to keep our Make-Ahead Shepherd’s Pie moist. The filling looked soupy when we froze it, but once reheated, it mimicked the original. Our potato topping soaked up too much of the beef mixture as we reheated the pie, so we strategically layered our other ingredients to create a makeshift barrier.
To prevent the topping from turning grainy, we turned to waxy red potatoes. They packed fewer amylose molecules, the culprit behind a coarse mash.
Serves 8 to 10
The beef mixture should look very loose after simmering in step 2.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists