Lentil Soup with Ham
From Cook's Country
To enhance the flavor of our Lentil Soup with Ham, we used chicken broth instead of water because the ham bone simply did not have enough time to give up all of its flavor to the quick-cooking lentils. Sautéing the lentils right in with the vegetables allowed them to cook evenly and prevented the lentils from blowing out and turning to mush. Browning them first in oil enhanced their flavor.
To give the dish a thicker, rustic texture, we buzzed a few cups of the soup in a blender and then added the puree back to the pot.
Serves 6 to 8
Snap the ham bone into 2 pieces to fit into the Dutch oven.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists