Joe Booker Stew (Beef Stew with Dumplings)
From Cook's Country
For our version of Joe Booker Stew, we microwaved the salt pork to speed up the rendering, then rinsed off the excess salt. Otherwise the soup was far too salty and greasy. To boost the meatiness of the stew, we settled on an equal combination of water and beef broth—too much or little of either threw off the balance of flavors.
Many recipes for Joe Booker Stew rely on cream of tartar and baking soda to get the dumplings to rise, but we found that a generous helping of baking powder worked best.
Serves 6 to 8
You can substitute peeled, chopped turnip or parsnip for the rutabaga. Use a Dutch oven with at least a 6-quart capacity.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists