Italian Cream Cake
From Cook's Country
We loved the idea of loading this layer cake with coconut and pecans, but the added bulk spelled destruction for the tender crumb and didn’t enhance the flavor. Toasting the coconut and nuts made a significant improvement. Grinding the stringy coconut in the food processor yielded less interruption to the cake, while soaking it in buttermilk made it all but disappear. Finally, we amped up the traditional cream cheese frosting with the addition of cream of coconut and, of course, a blanket of pecans.
Serves 8 to 10
Toast the coconut and nuts in a 350-degree oven until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Watch carefully and stir occasionally to prevent burning.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists