Greek Lasagna (Pastitsio)
From Cook's Country
Béchamel, a dairy-based white sauce thickened with a butter and flour roux, formed the basis for our Greek Lasagna (Pastitsio), but it early versions were extremely bland. Pecorino Romano helped boost the flavor, as did the addition of minced garlic and Greek yogurt.
To keep the grease factor to a minimum, we used 93 percent lean ground beef instead of traditional lamb. Adding a little red wine bolstered the acidity enough to balance the rich meat sauce and bé’chamel.
Serves 8 to 10
You will need a total of 4 ounces of Pecorino Romano cheese. Use whole milk Greek yogurt in this recipe.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists