Garlicky Oven Fries
From Cook's Country
What’s the best way to make crunchy, deeply seasoned, garlicky fries? Turns out, deep-frying wasn’t the answer. Cooking the fries in the oven not only minimized mess, but it also gave us an opportunity to add a big garlic punch to our Garlicky Oven Fries. Before baking, we tossed the potatoes with garlic-infused oil and microwaved them for five minutes—the potatoes emerged deeply enriched with garlic flavor. After we tossed the spuds with garlic powder (and a little cornstarch for extra crunch) and baked them, the finished fries were as dark and crispy as deep-fried fries—with rich, nutty garlic flavor.
Be sure to use potatoes of a similar size and cut them into even wedges so all of the pieces cook at the same rate. Traditional-finish and nonstick baking sheets both work well for this recipe.
- 6 garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 russet potatoes (about 8 ounces each), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Combine garlic and oil in large bowl and microwave until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer 5 tablespoons oil (leaving garlic in bowl) to rimmed baking sheet, turning sheet to coat.
2. Add potatoes to bowl with remaining oil mixture and toss to coat. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high power until potatoes are translucent around edges, 3 to 6 minutes, shaking bowl to redistribute potatoes halfway through cooking.
3. Combine cornstarch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in small bowl. Sprinkle over hot potatoes and toss to coat. Arrange potatoes in single layer on prepared baking sheet and bake, turning once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve.
Getting Great Garlic Flavor
We use this three-step process to give our crunchy oven fries maximum garlic flavor.
1. Make a garlic-infused oil by microwaving minced garlic and oil until fragrant.
2. Pour 5 tablespoons of garlic oil onto baking sheet and reserve. Toss potato wedges with remaining garlic-oil mixture and microwave until just tender.
3. For a final layer of garlic flavor, toss the potato wedges with garlic powder (and cornstarch for extra crispness) before baking.