From Cook's Country
We pitted frozen hash browns against fresh potatoes and determined that the former made for less starchy, gloppy Funeral Potatoes. Frozen hash browns were also much easier to prepare. To speed up the cooking time for our hash browns, we thawed them right in our cheese sauce. Switching from milk to half-and-half prevented the cheese from curdling, while replacing some of the half-and-half with chicken broth obviated the need for the cream of chicken soup that we found in many recipes we tasted.
Instead of using bland cornflakes for our crunchy topping, we enlisted sour-cream-and-onion potato chips.
Serves 8 to 10
You'll need one 30-ounce bag of frozen shredded (not cubed) hash brown potatoes.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists