Fried Green Tomatoes
From Cook's Country
Tart, firm green tomatoes encased in a crisp cornmeal coating may sound divine, but when we hit the kitchen we found the reality to be a bit different. Most recipes featured slippery tomatoes with dusty, fractured coatings that just wouldn’t stick. We drained the tomatoes on paper towels to get rid of excess liquid before dipping the slices into a mixture of egg and buttermilk, the perfect “glue” to grab on to an even coating of flour, cornmeal, and ground cornmeal. The verdict? Our high standards were fulfilled.
You’ll need 4 to 5 green tomatoes. We recommend finely ground Quaker cornmeal for this recipe.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists