Firehouse Smothered Steak
From Cook's Country
Flank steak recipes are great weeknight options because they’re flavorful and cook quickly. Our Firehouse Smothered Steak recipe dresses up this inexpensive cut with a spicy sauce. For the best results, we found it best to cook the meat to rare or medium-rare. Cooking the recipe’s salted vegetables covered helped draw out their juices, which created an ideal sauce for the steak and cut out the need to marinate the meat. We needed very little red pepper flakes to give this steak recipe its “firehouse" flavor. Adding the spice to the vegetables ensured a kick in every bite. Slicing the flank steak thinly against the grain shortened the muscle fibers and ensured tender meat.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists