Easy Flour Tortillas
From Cook's Country
While testing recipes for our Easy Flour Tortillas, we learned that too little fat produced brittle tortillas, too little salt yielded tasteless ones, and baking powder made them doughy and thick. Adding hot water to the dough melted the shortening, which then coated the flour and prevented it from absorbing excess moisture. This resulted in less gluten development and yielded more tender tortillas. A brief rest in the refrigerator firmed up the shortening again so that the dough wasn’t too sticky to roll.
Makes 12 tortillas
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists