From Cook's Country
Much like the familiar, fig-filled confections from the grocery store, our homemade version pairs a soft, cakelike cookie with a swirl of sticky, nut-studded fruit filling. Equal parts brown and granulated sugar make a moist dough with subtle, caramel-y flavor, and sweet dried dates soften during a quick simmer on the stovetop. We divide the dough in two to make it easier to handle, and then we roll it up with a smear of our cooled filling. After chilling in the refrigerator, the log just needs to be sliced and baked.
Makes about 40 cookies
Plan ahead: The dough needs time to chill twice. And don’t forget to grease the parchment paper—otherwise, these soft cookies will stick.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists