From Cook's Country
These crackers were inspired by the “hardtack” found on ships centuries ago. Unlike quick-to-go-stale bread, these dry, sturdy crackers would keep over long expeditions. Instead of the traditional yeast version, which requires a couple of lengthy rises, we made a quick biscuit-style dough leavened with baking powder and enriched with vegetable shortening and beer. And an innovative folding technique gave our crackers a light, flaky texture.
Makes about 3 dozen crackers
Use mild lager, such as Budweiser, to make this recipe.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists