Coconut-Date Rice Krispies Balls
From Cook's Country
We wanted our Coconut-Date Rice Krispies Balls to come together in a hurry, but we had to make sure the date mixture didn’t boil too rapidly—otherwise the egg curdled. When toasting the nuts with a skillet, we were sure to stir them frequently so they didn’t burn.
Makes about 3 dozen
Make sure the date mixture doesn't boil rapidly or it will curdle the egg.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted
1. Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add sugar, dates, egg, and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in vanilla, Rice Krispies, and pecans until incorporated. Let cool 15 minutes.
2. Place coconut in shallow dish. Shape cooled mixture into 1-inch balls, roll in coconut, transfer to parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. Serve. (Balls can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.)