Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
From Cook's Country
In our Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwiches recipe, the right ingredients coupled with the proper technique gave us perfect sandwiches. Buttering the bread—not the pan—gave our sandwiches the most even browning. Cooking the sandwiches over medium-low heat allowed the cheese to melt evenly and the bread to brown deeply. Sharp cheddar cheese and smooth-melting Monterey Jack provided the best combination of flavor and texture for the sandwiches. For a crisp crust, we pressed the grilled cheese sandwiches with a cake pan to mimic a panini press.
In the test kitchen, we like the tang of sharp cheddar tempered by the mild, smoothly melting Monterey Jack.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists