Chocolate Pound Cake
From Cook's Country
We retooled the classic pound cake recipe to make it plush and ultra-chocolaty. We did away with the need for chemical leaveners by properly creaming the butter and sugar. We found that room-temperature eggs worked best because they didn’t deflate the batter as they were added. Finally, for chocolate flavor we used two types of chocolate: Dutch-processed cocoa powder and milk chocolate. By blooming both in hot water, we got big chocolate flavor without the harshness of just plain cocoa powder.
Our favorite loaf pan (Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch Nonstick) is slightly smaller than a standard 9 by 5-inch pan. If you’re using a standard pan, begin to check the cake for doneness after 55 minutes.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists