Chicken à la King
From Cook's Country
For Chicken à la King that wasn’t bland or dry, we marinated the chicken in cream, lemon juice, and a little salt before adding it to the pan—the salt acted as a brine and kept the breast meat moist.
Tasters preferred the lighter, cleaner versions of Chicken à la King made without traditional (but finicky) egg yolks. We replaced some of the cream with chicken broth and rounded out the sauce’s flavors with Madeira wine, a little parsley, and lemon juice. Slightly overreducing the sauce before adding the chicken marinade mixture ensured the finished sauce had the proper consistency.
An equal amount of brandy or dry Marsala can be substituted for the Madeira.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists