Caramelized Onion and Potato Gratin
From Cook's Country
To ensure that the potato slices for our Caramelized Onion and Potato Gratin were all the same thickness, we used a mandoline instead of slicing them by hand. We caramelized the onions in a third of the time by adding brown sugar and cooking them over medium-high heat instead of low heat. Dark strings of caramelized onions were unappealing in our gratin, however. So instead of slicing, we chopped the onions and tucked them away in a middle layer of the gratin.
Serves 6 to 8
Thinly sliced potatoes are key to an evenly cooked gratin—use a mandoline slicer or the slicing disk on a food processor. You’ll need 3 cups of chopped onions.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists