Brown Soda Bread
From Cook's Country
To make a brown soda bread with good wheaty flavor but not a gummy, dense texture, we started by finding the right ratio of whole-wheat to all-purpose flour. Toasted wheat germ bumps up the sweet, nutty flavor of the whole wheat and adds texture. Baking powder, in addition to the traditional baking soda, guarantees a hearty—not heavy—loaf. A touch of sugar and a few tablespoons of butter keep our bread wholesome but not health-foody, and brushing a portion of the melted butter on the loaf after baking gives it a rich crust.
Makes 1 loaf
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists