Barberton Hot Sauce
From Cook's Country
In Barberton, Ohio, a signature fried chicken dinner is not complete without a mildly spicy side of stewed Hungarian hot peppers, tomatoes, and onions that the locals call “hot sauce.” Though we couldn’t find Hungarian hot peppers in the supermarket, a red bell pepper, two jalapeños, and a smidge of red pepper flakes offered a similar ratio of sweetness to heat. We found that a small amount of raw white rice lent the sauce its distinctive silky, jammy quality. Adding water helped the rice break down and do its thickening work.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Try leftover sauce with quesadillas or fish, or use it to fill an omelet.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists