American Chop Suey
From Cook's Country
For our American Chop Suey, we used 90 percent lean ground beef to get rid of the grease. To bump up the flavor, we used a large onion, plenty of celery, and high heat to get both the vegetables and meat nicely browned. Three types of tomato products—paste, sauce, and diced—added rich tomato flavor and body. Parboiling the macaroni and then allowing it to finish in the sauce prevented it from overcooking and becoming blown out.
Serves 6 to 8
Our favorite elbow macaroni is made by Barilla. Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes are our taste-test winner. Spice up your chop suey by serving it with hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce.
The recipe you requested is for
Start Your 14-Day Free Trial Membership
Every Recipe. Every Rating. Every Video from
Every Magazine & Every Episode!
- 8 years of Cook’s Country Foolproof Recipes
- Complete Cook’s Country TV Video Library
- 2,900+ Equipment Ratings and Ingredient Taste Tests
- Step-by-Step Technique Photos
- Save Favorites, Create Menus, Print Shopping Lists