Basic Red Wine Pan Sauce
Why this recipe works:
The first step was to pour off the fat from the steaks before building the sauce; otherwise it would be greasy. To draw out the flavors of red wine in our Basic Red Wine Pan Sauce we reduced it with a scant amount of sugar before adding the other ingredients. To finish off the sauce we added… read more
The first step was to pour off the fat from the steaks before building the sauce; otherwise it would be greasy. To draw out the flavors of red wine in our Basic Red Wine Pan Sauce we reduced it with a scant amount of sugar before adding the other ingredients. To finish off the sauce we added butter and some minced fresh thyme. It was important to add the butter to the sauce at the very last minute and whisk it constantly until incorporated; otherwise it would “break" and the butter floated to the top of the sauce.less
Makes enough sauce for 4 steaks
Use low-sodium broth and unsalted butter in this recipe or the reduced sauce may be too salty. See related content for a Cooking Lesson on pan-searing steak.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces and chilled
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- Salt and pepper
1. COOK AROMATICS Once steaks are cooked, transfer them to platter, tent with foil, and pour off excess fat from skillet. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in empty skillet over medium-low heat. Cook shallot until softened, about 2 minutes.
2. REDUCE LIQUIDS Add wine and sugar to skillet and simmer over medium heat, scraping up any browned bits, until reduced to about 1 tablespoon, about 3 minutes. Add broth and any juices on plate with resting steaks and simmer until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup, about 3 minutes.
3. ADD FLAVORINGS Off heat, whisk in thyme and remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks.
Cooking steaks in a skillet is fast but hardly foolproof. Who hasn’t ruined good steaks with imperfect technique? The secrets we’ve uncovered in the test kitchen guarantee reliable results—no extra time necessary.